Exports grow Kentucky’s economy. Selling to other countries helps companies ride out seasonal and regional fluctuations in sales, extend the life cycle of their products, develop and adapt new products and diversify their dependence on sectors and clients.
In 2014, Kentucky ranked 13th in the nation among states for percentage export growth and 6th in the U.S. for exports on a per capita basis. That’s an impressive distinction considering that Kentucky is not a coastal or a border state. While Kentucky is home to a number of large exporters, most of the state’s exporters are small and medium-sized businesses, selling products and services to nations around the globe.
SNAPSHOT OF KENTUCKY’S EXPORTS
- Kentucky exports totaled a record $27.7 billion in 2014.
- Kentucky ranks 17th in the nation in total exports.
- Kentucky’s total exports increased by 9.1% or $2.3 billion from 2013 to 2014.
- Manufactured goods accounted for 97.9% of all Kentucky exports in 2014.
- Kentucky exported to 191 countries during 2014.
- Top export industry sectors in Kentucky include: Aerospace, motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts, resin and synthetic rubber, pharmaceuticals and basic chemicals.
- Canada, the United Kingdom, Mexico, France, China, Brazil, Japan and Germany are Kentucky’s top export markets.
Source: U.S. Department of Commerce
For more information about Kentucky trade data, please contact:
Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development
Old Capitol Annex
300 West Broadway
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Phone: (502) 564-7140