FACTS AND FIGURES
Exports help grow and strengthen Kentucky’s economy. Selling to other countries helps companies ride out seasonal and regional fluctuations in sales, extend the lifecycles of their products, develop and adapt new products and diversify their dependence on sectors and clients.
In 2019, Kentucky set a new record for annual exports with $33.1 billion in exports reported.
Kentucky's 2019 exports grew 4% over 2018's figures, despite a nationwide downturn of 1.2%.
While Kentucky is home to a number of large exporters, most of the state’s exporters are small and medium-sized businesses, selling products and services to nations around the globe.
2019 Export Stats
- Kentucky exports reached $33.1 billion, up 4% over 2018.
- Kentucky exported goods and services to nearly 200 countries in 2019.
- Aerospace products and parts lead the state’s exports by product category with more than $14.6 billion shipped abroad. That represents an increase of 16.4% over 2018’s aerospace exports.
- Kentucky's second-largest export category in 2019 was motor vehicles at more than $2.8 billion, followed by pharmaceuticals and medicines at more than $2.4 billion.
- Kentucky’s top trade partner in 2019 was Canada with $7.8 billion in exports.
- Nationally, Kentucky ranked sixth in exports per capita in 2019, based on U.S. Census Bureau population estimates.
- Kentucky placed 16th overall among all states and Washington D.C. while having just the 26th largest population.
Source: WISERTrade and U.S. Census Foreign Trade Division
Kentucky Exports, Jobs, & Foreign Investment
- Value of Kentucky goods and services exported in 2019 = $33.1 billion.
- Kentucky jobs supported by exports in 2019 = 140,000+.
Source: Derived from information prepared by the Office of Trade and Economic Analysis, International Trade Administration, United States Department of Commerce.
Source: Derived from U.S. Census Bureau Foreign Trade Division via WISERTrade: State Database http://www.wisertrade.org.